Module 7 Assignment 2 Using Communications Skills to Enact Change


Knowing your audience is very important because it results in a two-way communication between the sender and receiver, which is very important to embody when leading policy changes. According to Mind Tools (n.d.) “Communication is only successful when both the sender and the receiver understand the same information as a result of the communication” ("Mind Tools," n.d., p. 1). Importantly, if this flow of information is accurately receivable, then there is less chances of misunderstandings and confusion.
Just being in Dynamics of Early Childhood Policies and Systems class give me the opportunity to use effective communication skills in the discussions and projects. Since enrolling in Walden, my writing reflects my communications to my colleagues, instructors and staff. Writing this blog has help me to come to this conclusion because I am striving to get my point across using communications skills.
The other communication skill that is important to embody when leading policy change is listening. Becoming a good listener helps me to understand what the other persons, groups, or policymakers point of view are and where they stand on the policy. Knowing this helps me to make changes to my policy if any is needed. More importantly, listening helps me to improve persuading others to understand my point of view. One of my strengths lie in listening because “it is not just about me,” but about others and their emotions. Help Guide. Org (n.d.), mentioned that “It’s not only how you convey a message so that it is received and understood by someone in exactly the way you intended, it’s also how you listen to gain the full meaning of what’s being said and to make the other person feel heard and understood” ("Help Guide.org," n.d., p. 1).
I came to this conclusion because by listening I am gathering more information to that will help my policy issue draw attention. Fowler (2013) stated “Relationships are built through regular two-way communication. It should be noted that good communication includes a willingness to receive messages as well as to send them” (Fowler, 2013, p. 198-199).

References

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jobs/Roles in the ECE Community: National/Federal Level

Personal Childhood Web

Module 6 Assignment 2