My Reflection

Optimizing Brain Development:

The importance of brain development in the early years
I would share information on brain development with early childhood shareholders with urgency. I would challenge the shareholders not to let money get in their way of providing an understanding of the critical importance of brain development on healthy development and learning. Berkeley Media Studies Group 2004 explained “I need first to develop a strategy in order to achieve change. I must know what I want to have happened. For example, If I am going to sound the alarm about the lack of funds for childcare subsidies, I need to put forth a policy approach to address the problem” (Berkeley Media Studies Group 2004).

A research-based advocacy message that I feel is essential for stakeholders
How brain development affects everyone in the audience in some ways. According to Harvard University, “Healthy development in the early years (particularly birth to three) provides the building blocks for educational achievement, economic productivity, responsible citizenship, lifelong health, strong communities, and successful parenting of the next generation. I would ask the question, “What can we do during this incredibly important period to ensure that children have a strong foundation for future development?” (Center on the Developing Child).
What role (if any) you believe early childhood professionals have as advocates related to current brain research and brain development, and how this role can best be enacted
As a childhood professional, I am put in a place where I advocate every day for my students. Wherever I go I advocate vocally and silently for young children and their families. I know how important prenatal health is for expecting mothers. Brain development and current research is important for professionals to advocate for because we want every child to have a good healthy start in life before entering any classroom. This role can best be enacted by informing other early childhood professionals of the research that is being done and asking administrators to require this issue as a requirement for professionals in staff development meetings to participate.
Your goals and plans for dissemination of brain development information
My goals are to spread the information internationally so other professionals in other countries can advocate for the children there. So, when there is an international conference, we can share our data and inform more colleagues of how-to disseminate brain development information in different environments.
Potential obstacles and misinformation, as well as levers that you feel, might inhibit or benefit your ability to disseminate information regarding brain development
The media might construe and present my advocacy for brain research and development in a misguided way. A way not all people might understand. This might be a potential obstacle and misinformation. Getting the attention of the media could be beneficial in my ability to disseminate information regarding brain development followed by a survey of some kind.

References
Berkeley Media Studies Group. (2004). Making the case for early care and education: A message development guide for advocates. Retrieved from http://bmsg.org/sites/default/files/bmsg_handbook_making_the_case_for_early_care_and_education.pdf
Center on the Developing Child—Harvard University (Producer). (n.d.-a). Experiences build brain architecture [Video file]. Retrieved from http://developingchild.harvard.edu/resources/multimedia/videos/three_core_concepts/brain architecture/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jobs/Roles in the ECE Community: National/Federal Level

Personal Childhood Web

Module 6 Assignment 2